You can reset or initialize the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the Toyota RAV4. Doing so registers the current tire pressure as a normal measurement for the system. Here’s how it’s done.
Note: If you are experiencing problems where the tire pressure warning light is lit when it shouldn’t be, be sure to check the pressure in all 5 tires. That includes the spare!
- With the vehicle parked, switch the ignition to “LOCK” or “OFF” for vehicles with a smartkey.
- Adjust the tire pressure as desired. Preferably you will want to adjust it to the recommended pressure for cold temperatures.
- Switch the ignition to “ON“.
- Locate the tire pressure reset switch located in one of the following places depending on the model and year:
- Below the steering wheel (way up under the dash)
- On instrument panel
- On knee bolster
- Inside glove box
- Press and hold the switch until the tire pressure light flashes 3 times.
- Wait for about 3 minutes, then turn the ignition to “LOCK” or “OFF“.
If you performed the steps correctly, you have initialized the tire pressure system on your RAV4.