You can reset or initialize the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the Toyota RAV4. Doing so registers the current tire pressure as a normal measurement for the system. Here’s how it’s done.
Note: If you are experiencing problems where the tire pressure warning light is lit when it shouldn’t be, be sure to check the pressure in all 5 tires. That includes the spare!
- With the vehicle parked, switch the ignition to “LOCK” or “OFF” for vehicles with a smartkey.
- Adjust the tire pressure as desired. Preferably you will want to adjust it to the recommended pressure for cold temperatures.
- Switch the ignition to “ON“.
- Locate the tire pressure reset switch located below and to the right of the steering wheel (on instrument panel, knee bolster or inside glove box). Press and hold the switch until the tire pressure light flashes 3 times.
- Wait for about 3 minutes, then turn the ignition to “LOCK” or “OFF“.
If you performed the steps correctly, you have initialized the tire pressure system on your RAV4.
This tutorial applies to the 2016 and 2017 versions of the Toyota RAV4.