The Toyota 4Runner allows you to set the automatic door locking behavior to your liking. You just have to perform the steps that correspond to the behavior desired using the “Lock / Unlock” buttons and the shift lever.
- Close all doors and switch the ignition to the “ON” position. Do not start the engine.
- Within 20 seconds of turning the electronics on, do one of the following depending on how you want the auto lock system to function:
- To make the doors automatically lock when shifting: Shift the gear to “P” (you’re probably on “P” already), then press and hold button “Lock” button on the door.
- To make the doors automatically unlock when shifting: Shift the gear to “P“, then press and hold the “Unlock” button on the door.
- To make the doors automatically lock when the vehicle reaches 12mph: Shift the gear to “N“, then press and hold the “Lock” button on the door.
- To make the doors automatically unlock when the driver’s door is opened: Shift the gear to “N“, then press and hold “Unlock” button on the door.
To disable any of the door lock settings, simply repeat the procedure.
These instructions can be performed on any Toyota 4Runner year models 2003-2021.
I hope this guide has helped you figure out how to set the auto door lock behavior on your Toyota 4Runner to your liking. If you have problems, leave me a comment below.
2 thoughts on “Toyota 4Runner: How to Set Door Lock Settings”
Resetting for lock sequence
On my 2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
I wish to be able to park the SUV and only have the driver side door automatically unlock when I set the “P”. Right now all doors unlocked automatically when I shift to “P” Please advice