If you cannot find the fuel door release, open the gas cap, or the Release is broken on the Subaru Outback continue below to find the uncomplicated steps to follow which will open and or fix the release.
**NOTE: If you cannot find the Fuel Door Release, Open the gas cap or are unable to fix the Fuel Door with the spring on the first try, REPEAT the steps. If you are still unsuccessful, contact the dealership for assistance or consult your vehicle user’s manual.
The Fuel Door Release lever is located on the floor to the LEFT of the DRIVER’s seat. (It will have a gas pump icon on it and looks like the image above).
- Pull this lever UP to open the Fuel Door.
- After pulling the lever, walk around to the Fuel Door and pull it open.
*TIP: To determine which side of the vehicle the Fuel Door is on, look at the fuel gauge located within the dashboard. There will be a gas pump icon with an arrow pointing to the RIGHT. This means the Fuel Door is on the RIGHT side of your vehicle.
If the Spring On The Fuel Door Is Broken
- Have someone pull UP the Fuel Door Lever while you pull open the fuel door.
- Or if you are alone, use something to prop up the lever, then you can pull the door open.
*Eventually, you will need to purchase a new spring for the Fuel Door to open properly. Springs are not costly, they run about $6 and are extremely easy to install as it just pops right in.
- Once the spring is in place, let the release lever down.
- Close the fuel door.
- Then use the lever to open the fuel door.
Open the Gas Cap
- Grip the Gas Cap firmly and turn it to the LEFT.
To Close the Gas Cap
- Put the Gas Cap back on and turn it to the RIGHT until you hear it CLICK.
- Once the Gas Cap is on securely, close the Fuel Door by pushing it IN completely. If you do not push it hard enough it will not close. Therefore double check before you walk away.
You are Good to GO!