After your BMW is serviced the mechanic will reset the computer so it can register your mileage which is how you know when the vehicle needs service again in the future. However, if you service your own vehicle but are unsure of how to reset the computer system, follow these steps below to assist you.
- Turn the key to the ON position without starting the vehicle.
- Press and HOLD the ODOMETER button for TEN seconds. It is located to the far bottom LEFT of the Instrument Cluster.
- You will see FGSTNR with a number on the dash screen. This is your Chassis number (See image example).
- Add the last FOUR numbers. Ex: 3+4+5+6= 18 (taken from the image above). 18 would be your UNLOCK CODE.
- Once more, press and HOLD the ODOMETER button until you see the area where FGSTNR clears (you will still see numbers in the top section).
- After the bottom area clears, press the odometer button until you reach 19 in the top Menu area (entering code menu); When you do, the bottom area will read: LOCK: ON and CODE: press the odometer button to enter 18 your unlock code (from the example above) You will see this in the bottom area.
- After a few seconds, the screen will look as the image does above, meaning it is back to the beginning Menu. Press the odometer button to enter the number 21 Menu (also the entering code menu).
- The bottom area screen will read: RESET? Press the odometer button to finish resetting.
The computer on your BMW has been reset! You will now need to re-add previous settings or add new ones.
**NOTE: If you are unable to Reset the BMW Computer on the first try, slowly REPEAT the steps. If you are still unsuccessful, contact the dealership for assistance or consult your vehicle user’s manual.