Got a dead car battery? Learn how to jump start a car battery using another car battery or a power bank with these easy to follow instructions and diagram.
Car to Car Jump Start
Before starting, ensure both vehicles are close enough for the jumper cables to connect to both batteries and turn all electronics off.
- Connect a red lead on the jumper cable to the positive terminal of the working battery.
- Connect the other red lead to the positive terminal of the dead battery.
- Connect the black lead to the negative terminal of the dead battery.
- Connect the other black terminal to a metal point or jump start post away from the working battery.
- Start the working car and slightly tap the accelerator.
- Wait about 60 seconds, then attempt to start the dead car.
- Once started, disconnect the jumper cables in reverse order of how they were attached.
Power Bank to Car Jump Start
Each power bank may be different, so be sure to use the instructions provided with it. Usually, it’s as easy and simply connecting the red lead to the positive terminal and the black lead to the negative terminal on the batter.
Q: Why doesn’t jumping the car work for me?
A: There could be many reasons why jumping does not work.
- Ensure the jumper cables are properly connected to the terminals on the battery.
- Ensure the jumper cables actually work. There are many bad quality jumper cables. Many of the cheaper ones are included with cheap roadside emergency kits.
- The battery might be bad.