What if you could warm up or cool down your Chevy Malibu without leaving your home? Remote start technology makes it possible. Join us as we guide you through the steps of using this convenient feature.
The Chevy Malibu has a remote start feature in models from 2015 and newer.
Chevy Malibu How to Use Remote Start via Key Fob
The simplest way to use remote start is through a key fob on models that have the remote start feature available from the get-go. You can check your key fob for a remote start button, which looks like a circular arrow and is below the lock and unlock buttons.
Here’s how to use it:
- Press the lock button on the key fob.
- Press and hold the remote start button for a few seconds.
- Your car’s lights should flash and the engine will turn on if the remote start sequence completes.
- The AC will continue at the level it was when the car was turned off. Automatic AC will adjust the temperature based on ambient temperature and also turn on the defogger if needed.
- Enter the car with the key and press on the brake to unlock the transmission, shift the gear, and start driving when you want.
The remote start lasts for 20 minutes. Repeat the process if you want to reset the timer to 20 minutes at any point, but you can do this only once per remote start. You will need to drive the vehicle between two remote starts.
In older models, the remote starts lasts 10 minutes, and gets reset to another 10 minutes.
Chevy Malibu How to Use Remote Start via App
If you want to go around the distance limit imposed by the key fob (since it uses relatively short-range radio waves), you can use a smartphone app to signal your car to start via the internet. For a Chevy, this is done through the myChevrolet app available for iOS and Android.
Here’s how you can set up the app:
- Download the myChevrolet app through your platform’s official app store.
- Open the app and select your region or state.
- Log in or create an account. You will be prompted to provide an authentication method. You will also need to select a subscription to use the remote start feature.
- Input your vehicle’s information, including the VIN found on a label on the side of the driver’s door.
After the setup, using the app is simple:
- Open the app.
- Select your Chevy Malibu.
- Press the power button.
- On a successful start, the button will be replaced with a countdown timer.
- You can customize the timer and climate control settings with the app.
You still need to enter the car with the key fob if you want to start driving. The app doesn’t replace the physical key.
Chevy Malibu Remote Start Requirements and Limits
Similarly to most modern cars, the remote start feature has built-in security restrictions to prevent accidents. These include:
- The car needing to be put in “Park”
- The doors, hood, and trunk being closed and locked
- The windows are up
- The car’s alarm system isn’t triggered
- The vehicle needs to have enough fuel and battery power
- The car’s hazard and service lights need to be off
Avoid using the remote start system in enclosed areas. Some states impose limits on remote start duration.
If you encounter issues with the remote start system, check your car’s sensors and ensure all the doors and windows are closed. A broken latch or a sensor might be signaling that a door is open. Additionally, check whether your key fob is working properly.
If you don’t have this feature on your key fob, your car is likely an older model but you may be able to get the remote start system retrofitted with an aftermarket model. However, this needs to be done through a qualified and registered service, and you might not be able to get the app working with aftermarket systems.