Keep the system software in your Ford vehicle updated. Just follow these steps to update the version of Ford SYNC you are using.
Updating SYNC Using a USB Drive
- Obtain the VIN for your Ford.
- Have a formatted USB flash drive inserted into a USB port on your computer, and visit https://help.ford.com/update-sync/ from a PC.
- Enter your VIN, then select “Prepare SYNC download“.
- Once the file finishes downloading, Windows users can right-click on it, then select “Extract All“.
- Select the drive letter for your USB drive, then select “Extract“.
- Once the files are extracted, eject it from your computer.
- Turn on the vehicle electronics in your Ford and insert the USB drive into a USB port.
- Go to “Menu” > “SYNC-Settings” and select “OK“.
- Scroll to “Install on SYNC“, then press “OK“.
- Select “Yes“.
- Wait while your Ford does the work to update SYNC.
Updating SYNC Using Wi-Fi
If your Ford is running version 3 of SYNC or later, you can update the software over a Wi-Fi connection.
- Turn on the vehicle electronics in your Ford. Do not start the engine.
- If you haven’t already, connect to a Wi-Fi network by going to “Settings” > “Wi-Fi“.
- Once in range and connected to a Wi-Fi network, go to “Settings” then choose “General“.
- Select “Automatic System Updates” > “Scan for Updates Now“.
That’s it! Those are the steps to update the SYNC software on your Ford.