Learn how to turn Eco Mode on the Toyota Corolla on or off using these steps.
- Change the Driving mode selection switch to choose Eco Drive Mode
2014 – 2022 Models: “Eco Mode” Button
When Eco Mode is turned on, the instrument panel will display an “ECO MODE” indicator. The vehicle will remain in this mode until you turn it off or when you shut off the ignition. When the ignition is turned on, Eco Mode is off by default.
2014 – 2022: Automatic Eco Mode
An indicator will appear in the display that shows the zone for operating the vehicle in the Eco range. When the vehicle encounters heavy acceleration, the vehicle is not in Eco range and the “Eco” message will not appear on the display.
Models with a Vehicle Information Display screen
- Go to Settings
- Find Eco Driving Indicator Light and turn off
Models with no Display screen
- Hold the Disp button on the steering wheel for a few seconds.
Previous Models 1996-2013
Eco drive was not available some models had Over Drive which helped improve fuel economy but is not the same thing as Eco Drive.
What does Eco Mode actually do?
It changes the way the Corolla accelerates, making it transition more slow and smooth. It also reduces operation of the heating and air conditioning system. So it may take longer to cool or heat the cab when Eco Mode is enabled. The result is saving on fuel consumption.
I have Eco Mode enabled, but why doesn’t the Eco light show on the instrument panel?
The Eco Driving Indicator will not illuminate during these conditions:
- The transmission is in a gear other than “D/Drive”.
- Driving Mode is set to “Sport Mode”.
- The vehicle is traveling at a speed above 79 miles-per-hour.
- A paddle shift switch is operated.