The GMC Sierra has a feature that displays an Oil Life Remaining percentage that helps you know when to change your oil. For example, if “REMAINING OIL LIFE 80%” is displayed, that means 80% of the current oil life remains.
Once the Remaining Oil Life hits a low percentage, a message that says “CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON” will be displayed.
You can reset the “Oil Life Remaining” percentage light on your 2003 to 2021 GMC Sierra using these steps.
Option 1 – All Models
- Turn the ignition to “On“. Do not start the engine.
- Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way down 3 times within a 5 second interval.
- Turn the ignition “Off“.
The next time you start your GMC Sierra, the Oil Life will be reset.
Option 2 – Models Without Driver Info Center
- Turn the ignition to the On position to turn the electronic system on. Do not start the engine.
- Turn/rotate the trip odometer stem/knob on the instrument panel until “Remaining Oil Life” is displayed.
- Press and hold the knob or thumbwheel until a prompt appears. Select “Yes” and the “Oil Life” resets to 100 percent.
The “Change Engine Oil Soon” message should now be reset.
Option 3 – Models With Driver Info Center
- With your vehicle in the On position without starting the engine.
- Use the arrows pad on the steering wheel to highlight Info.
- Scroll down and display the “Oil Life“.
- Press and hold the Thumbwheel button or √.
- You will be asked, “Are you sure you want to reset?” Highlight “Yes“, then press the Thumbwheel or √ to select.
- Switch the ignition Off then back On to verify the reset.
I hope one of the options above has worked for you and that you have successfully reset the remaining oil life on your GMC Sierra.