Eventually, battery in the key fob for the Chevy Equinox will fully drain. So what happens if you’re out in the middle of nowhere with a dead fob battery? How will you start the vehicle?
Don’t worry! Chevy thought of that. There is still a way you can start the Equinox ignition even when the fob is dead. We show you how with this guide.
- Place the vehicle gear in P or N.
- Press the button on the side of your keyfob to remove the manual key.
- Locate a manual key slot underneath the driver’s door handle.
- Insert the key in the slot and pop out the cap to reveal a keyhole.
- Insert the manual key in the keyhole and unlock the car.
- Once inside the car, place the dead keyfob in the cupholder.
- Hold the brake pedal, then push the Start button to start the vehicle.
The Equinox should start up just fine. If it doesn’t start, try re-positioning the key fob in the cup holder, then try again.
Replace the battery with a CR2032 battery or equivalent as soon as possible.
2 thoughts on “Chevy Equinox: Start With Dead Key Fob Battery”
Very bad engineering, I have never hear of a key fob battery running out!
That has nothing to do with engineering, it is physics. You really think batteries last forever?