Have you found that you cannot shift gears and your car gear is stuck in “Park”? This is a common problem. You can often overcome this problem on most vehicles with these steps.
2010 – 2023 Models
- Put the parking brake on.
- Turn the ignition to ON but don’t engage the engine.
- Locate the shift release or Shift Lock Overdrive on the Shifter Console. It will often look like a cover with a notch.
- Locate the shift release, usually found near the shift. Remove the plastic cap of the shifter console. A small compartment with a button is revealed.
- Use a screwdriver or nail file to pop the cover off.
- With the screwdriver, reach the slot and hold it down.
- At the same time, press down on the Brake Pedal.
- Shift the gear off Park.
Note: If your car is a 2009 model or older, it might not have a brake-shift interlock. In this case, check your owner’s manual for specific instructions to fix your stuck gear. If the problem continues to occur, your car may need repairs.
Common Causes for Being Stuck in Park
- The brake lights don’t work.
- Problems with the Shift Interlock Solenoid.
- An open circuit that shorts out between different switches and the solenoid.